In 2008, The Vineyard Church here in Kenner entered into a long-term partnership with Vineyard Boise and Vineyard Church of Columbus in an effort to come along side local Vineyard Churches in Zambia, Africa to see long term transformation and to see the Kingdom of God fully present within the life of this country. Whether its building deep water wells and biosand filters with Seeds of Hope International, training lay leaders at the local churches, or simply praying for the sick and the marginalized, we long to see the Kingdom of God break in and renew this little part of the world. This blog is a place where you can join us as we seek to accomplish this mission.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Learning to Receive and Dance

Today we spent the morning/day at the Vineyard church in Livingstone. Robb, Janet, Sandra, and Shawn shared their teaching of restoration through the book of Romans and Ruth again. During the teaching, and my experience at the church, I began thinking about two topics: receiving and worship.

Preparing for this trip, I (Michelle) had the attitude of giving, not receiving. To be honest, on this trip I don’t think I’ve always had the right attitude in receiving. Today, I have forgotten that I am a guest here. I didn’t think this young Cajun girl should be served a meal first or have special seating, since I am thinking, “I am here to give.” I also felt like I was not worthy of this type of honor. Today, as I sat in the front of the church eating my rice with utensils (which is not African culture), I had a great convo with a friend that made me realize receiving is giving.

I began to think, if I had a guest in my home, how would I treat them? How would I want my guest to receive this treatment? When I give someone my best and it is done in love, I don’t want to be rejected. To me, the best part of giving a gift to someone is the reception. I love seeing the joy that comes to the receiver, for it gives me joy in my heart. Is not receiving also giving? Can’t we serve one another through giving AND receiving?

Then I began to ask myself, is there something that God wants to give me that I am not receiving? Am I feeling like I am not worthy to accept what God wants to give me? If so, why? How am I making God feel by rejecting His gifts? What about you? What are your responses to these questions? What are your reactions when receiving?

Secondly, I’d like to talk about the worship in song here in Zambia. When you don’t understand the language, you begin to observe things other than words. I’ve really enjoyed seeing the passion that the people express while in worshiping the Lord. To me, it’s more like a celebration! The people here dance before the Lord. Now, I know dance is a very loose term – I guess you will just have to ask a team member to demonstrate. Nah, just kidding! They like to sway to the music, clap to the beat, and make a few hand motions – nothing that would disturb others around them from worshipping. So I began to think, why am I so reserved in my worship in song? Do I think that worship in song cannot be fun and just enjoy being in the presence of our God? If you can’t tell by know, I’m a thinker, and I can get caught up in my head and forget to worship also with my heart. Why must I focus so much, and worry of what other people may think? Why can’t I just let it go, and enjoy the moment with God? If people didn’t understand the language I’m singing, would they still see the passion in my worship? What about you? Would other people see your passion for God in your worship?

p.s. watch out for those giraffes at Zig Zag!

No comments:

Post a Comment